(1) Describe the challenge
The challenge is to increase sales of Lomography film cameras as smart phone cameras because increasingly better in quality, and digital cameras become more affordable. The lomography target market of "hipsters" tends to not like to marketed directly towards, and often shun it. Using social media is a perfect way to access this market because it integrates the brand into their lifestyle rather than forcing the idea of the lomography lifestyle upon the user.
There are three ways in which lomography can team up with current Social Media websites:
1. Using facebook as a platform for competitions. Having users submit there photographs to facebook, they would be judged and the users eligible for a prize of some sort.
2. Lomography and instagram could team up and create new filters which the user can unlock when they buy a camera from Lomography.
3. Lomography creates its own photography application which the user could download for free with a purchase of
lomography camera with the unlocked filter. When buying supplementary products such as film or flashes, the user would gain points and have the possibility of earning another filter or other features. Smart phone users could also down the app at a certain price with all the filters unlocked. This feature would gain more revenue for Lomography, and open up the demographic of loyal smart phone photographers. Users could also have the option of having their smartphone lomography pictures printed and sent to them for an additional fee.
(2) Who is the target audience?
Creative individuals, probably on the older side of the Instagram target market. These users are usually young, generally ranging from ages 13-24 years old.
(3) What does the audience currently think about the brand or group?
Lomography is seen as a cult film classic, they are probably the most well known brand of toy cameras. They are sold at many locations, the most famous being Urban Outfitters.
(4) What would we like the target to think and feel?
That they are remaining hip, they have features which are exclusive to those who are apart of the Lomo-Culture, and that they can have a unique edge to a medium (smartphone photography) which almost everyone has access to.
(5) Which facts, evidence or thoughts will assist in this change of thinking?
Evidence will be seen when if the target market uses the Lomography app as a platform for creativity and documentation of their lifestyle and personal identity.
(6) What is the brand essence?
A daily creative outlet.
(7) What is the key emotion that will build a relationship with the core?
They key emotions would be nostalgia, intimacy, and progression of the creative identity.
Young, technology savvy photograph enthusiasts.
(9) What media will best facilitate our goal?
Contests through facebook, instgram, or the lomography smartphone app.
(10) What are the most critical elements?
To make sure the smartphone app is not projected as a tool for marketing but rather a way for users to involve themselves even more in a creative lifestyle and documentation.
(11) What is the single most important takeaway?
That lomography is a tool to express creativity for any individual.
(12) What do we want the audience to do?
To think of themselves as living a "lomography lifestyle". This embodies a lifestyle of adventure, creativity, beauty, and nostalgia; all of these elements are the reasons we value photographs.